Friday, July 22, 2011

Going Soft

Going Soft

I swear I’m turning into a girl. Well figurative speaking because I am already a girl. I mean thought why I’m thinking more like a girl than I usually do. I find myself more masculine minded. I think and act like a man. I have feelings and thoughts just like a man would. In the army I used to joke with my male buddies that I had bigger balls than them. Now, well at least today I feel very woman like, sensitive and emotional.
I work in a grocery store. Not very exciting I know but it is a job and it does pay the bills… Well at least some of them. That’s not the point though. Right now we have this promoting going where if you buy groceries you earn one stamp. Ultimately that stamp (if you collect enough) is redeemable for free or very highly discounted pots and pans. Here is the catch; you must buy ten dollars worth of groceries to earn one stamp.
Here is where I find myself girly:
This afternoon…
I was in my check stand checking out customers instead of doing my job, which today would be working the floor. Right now we are understaffed. Today is day I’m not sure of working to many days in a row. I’m tired, sore and probably a little cranky. A friendly old lady came into my line. I did the usual “How are you today? Did you find everything ok?” Then I asked “would you like to Donate to” Blah Blah Blah. She didn’t answer. Her eyes were fixed to the green stamps that were attached to the lanyard that I was putting around my neck. She asked about how to get them. She knew the program and what they are redeemable for just not sure how to get them. I answered quickly “you have to spend ten dollars to get them” She had only spent seven. “Ok” she said with her eyes still fixed to the stamps. She fumbled for money and I gave her, her change and receipt. Wished her a good day and sent her on her way.
No big deal right? Well this is where it gets girly...
If someone would have done to my grandmother what I did to her I would be mad. All she wanted was one little green stamp. We have plenty. People pass on stamps all day long. So there were extras to give. Why didn’t I give her one? That was probably the only reason she had come in today. The guy after her earned four and didn’t want them. I feel like if I would have given her that one stamp she would have smiled. Instead policy got in the way of compassion and humanity. I wish I could tell her sorry and give her, her stamp.

1 comment:

  1. It's not a man thing, or a woman thing, it is a human thing. Just to go a little out of our way to make someone else's day better.

    ReplyDelete